It’s no question that a clean, healthy smile makes people feel good about themselves. Although people may do an excellent job with at-home maintenance and care of their teeth, it’s important to allow your teeth a professional cleaning — also known as a dental prophylaxis — at the dental office twice a year. That’s because plaque, a clear, sticky film of bacteria, constantly forms on teeth. While brushing and cleaning between teeth will help to remove much of the plaque, it’s almost impossible to eliminate all of it. And once plaque hardens into tartar, the only way it can be removed is with a professional cleaning by a dental hygienist at the dental office.
Let’s visit the top five best reasons to get regular cleaning:
- To remove food, beverage or tobacco strains on the surface of your teeth that cannot be removed with regular brushing and flossing.
- To remove tartar, a hardened substance that makes keeping your teeth clean difficult.
- To prevent gum disease, a condition that may lead to loss of your teeth and other serious health problems.
- To learn about the best way to keep your teeth clean on a daily basis.
- To keep your teeth healthy, which will help to keep your body healthy overall.
Visiting the dentist every six months for a cleaning, exam and x-rays is the recommended recall time for most patients. For some, depending on their dental needs, are required to come either three or four months. Not only does coming in for regular visits keep your smile feeling and looking its best, but it’s also the best way to prevent dental problems that could turn painful and costly down the road.
Source: American Dental Association, www.ada.org